How Do You TIMES Tables ?
” I love the way you teach the tables Jane, it is so much easier, and I can remember them too!” from an 11 year old student
” I wish you were at my school, as you make maths so easy to learn” from a 10 year old student
How do I teach them:
- First I check if the student is ready to learn maths
- If the student is ready, I spend time with them teaching/ learning and practising some of the rhythmic exercises in the Bal-A-Vis-X programme
- When we have a synchronised rhythmic pattern I then introduce the tables.
- We learn without using the word TIMES
- We say only numbers
- We count up the way with whichever table we are learning
- We do them forwards/ backwards/ out of sequence – all to a rhythmic ball bouncing exercise
- We do them individually or with a partner
- We say 1 2 2/ 2 2 4/ 3 2 6/ 4 2 8/ 5 2 10 and so on.
- This not only is the tables, but it also shows the division sum/answer too!
- Tables are Tables – never use TIMES!